An older browser has 2 serious disadvantages:
- First of all, it is a security risk, as a current browser is also adapted to the current security risks, which is no longer the case with an older browser.
- On the other hand, a large part of the websites are oriented to the current browser versions. This means: with an older browser, you may not be able to display the contents of a website in an optimal way or you can not use all the functions to the fullest.
What to do?
Normally, you will be informed that there is a new version of your browser when you start it. In this case, you only have to agree to an update. For instance, you can find your current version in the "help" menu under "about firefox", if you use a Windows computer and Mozilla Firefox. If you work with a Mac and use the same browser, you will find this information in the menu "Firefox"
In most cases you will find a direct possibility to update there, if your browser should no longer be up-to-date.
The most popular browsers and where you can download (or update) them:
- Mozilla Firefox - www.mozilla.org
- Google Chrome - www.google.com/chrome
- Internet Explorer - http://windows.microsoft.com/de-de/internet-explorer/download-ie
- Opera - www.opera.com/de
- Safari - www.apple.com/safari/